May 23, 2012

INSPIRATION: MY MUSIC PLAYLIST

I don’t listen to music when I write. It’s too distracting. Music inspires emotion, and I need to be in control of my emotions when I’m writing or else the scene may end up with a completely different feel than I’d intended. I also don’t listen to music when I’m driving, because that’s my thinking time. I do my best plotting when I’m driving or cleaning house or taking a shower.

So when DO I listen to music? When I’m walking the dog, or running for exercise. I have a little SanDisk music player that I loaded with the following songs - hand-picked to help get me in the writing mood.

How it makes me feel: Strong
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “The scars of your love remind me of us, they keep me thinking that we almost had it all.”
Movie you’ve heard this song in: I am Number Four.
Note: Currently my favorite song.

The Adventure, by Angels and Airwaves
How it makes me feel: Hopeful
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Here we go, life’s waiting to begin.”

The Diary of Jane, by Breaking Benjamin
How it makes me feel: Formidable
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Do you like that? Do you like that? No!”
 
Firework, by Katy Perry
How it makes me feel: Inspired
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Baby you’re a firework. Come on show ‘em what you’re worth.”

You’re the Reason, by Victoria Justice
How it makes me feel: Sentimental
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “You’re the only reason that I’m not afraid to fly.”

This Kiss, by Faith Hill
How it makes me feel: Satisfied
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse.”
Movie you’ve heard this song in: Practical Magic.
Note: I’m not a big fan of country music unless it crosses over into pop, like this song does.

All Around Me, by Flyleaf
How it makes me feel: Spiritual
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “I can feel you all around me, thickening the air I’m breathing.”

Bodran, by Young Dubliners
How it makes me feel: Exhilarated
Favorite quote from the lyrics: No lyrics; instrumental

Here with Me, by Dido
How it makes me feel: Sexy
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Oh, I am what I am, I do what I want, but I can’t hide.”
Television show you’ve heard this song in: Roswell

I’m Like a Bird, by Nelly Furtado
How it makes me feel: Fatalistic
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “I’m like a bird; I’ll only fly away.”

Rush, by Aly & AJ
How it makes me feel: Invincible
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Don’t let nobody tell you your life is over, be every color that you are.”
Movie you’ve heard this song in: Twitches (A Disney flick which I’ve never seen).

Poker Face, by Lady Gaga
How it makes me feel: Pumped
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “Can’t read my, can’t read my, no he can’t read my poker face.”
Movie you’ve heard this song in: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.

Letters from the Sky, by Civil Twilight
How it makes me feel: Epic
Favorite quote from the lyrics: “That you and I were made for this, I was made to taste your kiss.”
Movie you’ve heard this song in: I am Number Four.


8 comments:

  1. I love thinking up plot when I'm driving, and yeah, I never listen to music while I'm writing. I like Adele too. I've been listening to blues, to electronica and to James Durbin (hard rock). I know, I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no wierd when it comes to music! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about 50/50 with music while writing. Since I do not have a nice quiet place, I will use it as background noise to drown everything else out.

    I also listen to be inspired. Music and lyrics can conjure images and scenes.

    I do have to be careful of what I listen to. Images of my characters (humans, elves, and dwarves in their mage robes, leather and metal armor) dancing to Hillbilly Bone, raising their Red Solo Cups and using their Battle Axes and staffs as guitars just, well, it isn’t productive. O.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I meant to say that I enjoyed the reasons behind the songs. I have seen plenty of lists and you are the first to give specific reasons. :-)

      Delete
    2. Clarifying because the posts got crossed - the part about your characters jamming with their weaponry was funny. ;o)

      Delete
  4. I simply couldn't write without Dark Side of The Moon blaring out at me with a brain melting volume. It just isn't natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you listen to it once to get into the mood or over and over until the writing's done? ;o)

      Delete